You Can Ensure a Healthy Ocean with a Tax-wise Charitable Gift from Your IRA
Ocean Conservancy supporters, age 70 ½ or older, can get a tax break while helping to ensure a healthy ocean with a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) gift.
Your Benefits Include:
- Make a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA to Ocean Conservancy and avoid paying income taxes on your donation.
- The amount you transfer does not count as income for the year, which may help keep you in a lower tax bracket.*
- You will help protect the ocean for future generations.
- You must be at least 70 ½ years old when you make the transfer to Ocean Conservancy.
- The transfer must be directly from your IRA to Ocean Conservancy.
- You may donate up to $100,000 (individual) or $200,000 (couple) per year.
- Your gift must be received at Ocean Conservancy by December 31.
For assistance in making a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA, please contact us at 800-519-1541 or email@example.com. Notifying us of your intention allows us to provide you the proper tax acknowledgement required by the IRS.
The Wall Street Journal touted this method of giving, saying:
While the taxpayer doesn’t get a deduction for the gift, neither does it count as income. This popular move can also help reduce a taxpayer’s adjusted gross income, which in turn can help minimize Medicare premiums or taxes on Social Security benefits.”
The IRA rollover gift opportunity turned out to be the right vehicle for us to deepen our support of Ocean Conservancy. We were also told it was a good idea by a financial advisor.”
* Due to recent changes in the laws governing retirement plans, please seek advice from your financial advisor regarding the tax implications of your gift, particularly if you plan to continue to contribute to your IRA after age 70 ½. Your gift may not qualify for these tax benefits.